Friday, March 2, 2012

Snow & Running in the Rain

While bopping to old rock n roll music that mommy put on, I will write to you guys while I'm dancing in my seat. MUSIC IS SOOO AWESOME!
While my school is closed, along with so many other places in Israel because of the SNOW, I went running with my father. Since Wednesday, I've been hoping and hoping that the snow forecast would actually come true, not like what happened two weeks ago, when it was supposed to snow in Jerusalem. Yesterday at school, there were signs put up everywhere saying we need to check the news to see if there is school today, on Friday. I came home, and told my mom as a joke, that if I have enough Emunah, belief in God, it will snow, and if I even even MORE belief, it will snow in Beit Shemesh. Apparently I have so much belief in God, that he made it snow in Jerusalem, and school was canceled.
I came downstairs this morning in PJs at 6:30, and the first thing I did was go to the computer and check the news. No snow in J-lem yet, but there was HALF A METER of snow up north. Crazy, right? In our little sabra country? After that my parents decided they would let me have the day off for the the 3rd Friday in a row, because I probably have more traveling the learning on Fridays.
Then at around 7:30, while I was having my healthy and yummy breakfast, I got a phone call saying there is no school because of the snow. Abba and I were going to run my first 10k ever, it was raining on and off. The rain slowed down, and because it was still raining and Abba didn't want me to lengthen my longest run yet in the rain, we were going to do 5k, and ended up doing 8k. It was the best run since the 5k race a couple of months ago, where I ran in the mud and got filthy, having the time of my life, while all the adults where avoiding the mud and the puddles and didn't know what they were missing.
I decided that I wasn't going to add the the 2k that would of made it a 10k run, because (this is what I told Abba at about the 7k mark): This run is for fun. This is why I run.
The thrill of running in the rain, even with the 2k hill in the middle is amazing.
There are two reasons I go running:
1. Getting fit and loosing weight.
2. Because of runs like this.

I'm reading a book Runner's World published (Runner's World is a running magazine), which is a bunch of stories about people with triumphs and amazing stories. It's called: Going Long: Legends, Oddballs, Comebacks and Adventures. I'm reading it on my kindle, and the stories are moving and inspirational. Definitely recommend it. One of the stories I was most moved by, was the story about Matt Long, a FDNY fire fighter, and was crushed by a bus making an illegal turn while he was riding his bike. It's an epic story, showing a guy that was so close to death, and started running a while after the accident. In the end, a couple of years after the tragic accident, he ran the NY Marathon! There are so many stories like this. Definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment