Yesterday was Rosh Chodesh, the first day of the month of Av. Thousands of women got together at the Western Wall to pray. Sounds great, right? Wrong. If you are aware of the local politics of Women of the Wall, you will be familiar with their monthly get-together to prayers by the Western Wall. They are fighting for their right to pray, wear shawls and read the Torah. Many people support them. Many people don't. Women for the Wall is an organization consisting of a group of women who are fighting to bridge the gap that was created between WoW and women who are opposed to them. They send chareidi girls to pray and get in the way. Needless to say, the praying event at the kotel didn't go well, and pictures of Chareidi women whistling to drone out the noise of WoW was spread across the internet.
I am not writing this so I can tell you what I think. I am writing only to tell you how pathetic this is. The second Temple was destroyed by Sinat Chinam, groundless hatred, and both sides were obnoxious and provocative to each other. I blame both groups for failing at something so basic, so important: respecting others, without even trying to come to a mutual understanding. No one wins, everybody loses. It is pathetic. It reminds my of 5 year olds.
The Western Wall does not need liberation. WoW shouldn't compare themselves to the liberators of the Wailing Wall from 1967 in the 6 Day War, it's just lame and pathetic. The Western Wall isn't being occupied by the enemy. It is occupied by our country, a democracy of 65 years. W4W is also doing a major Chillul Hashem, a desecration of the name of God. Through W4W, Rabbis are sending thousands of teenage Chareidi girls to pray and stop WoW, which is also pathetic and a way to avoid communication.
We are all educated, we all understand that we are all here, sharing the Western Wall. We are all part of a greater good, a nation that will hopefully continue to thrive and grow. If WoW and W4W could both sit down for coffee, with an open mind, I am sure that they will come to a conclusion.
It is selfish to think that your way is the only way. It is selfish to refuse compromise and to never be satisfied... And with that, I will end my rant. Have a good day, everyone.
In my view, there is no way you can express an opinion about a difficult subject and not have some one be offended. As long as you speak carefully and thoughtfully, and not just out of anger, I would think that if someone is offended it is their problem and not yours. We suffer if we cannot hear the views of those in disagreement with us. You deserve the right to speak, and people deserve the opportunity, need the opportunity to hear your views. Ask your father about the conflict between Hillel and Shammei, if you do not know the story. The Gemorra distinguishes between conflict which can be productive and conflict which is not productive.
ReplyDelete