Friday, May 11, 2012

Beginning of summer 2012!

Summer 2012, pretty sums up everything for me - getting ready for a two-month vacation, while trying to get by finals, and planning the end-of-year pathetic play. But, somehow, even with the last two depressing parts, I am in a great mood, probably because I slept more than 8 hours last night.

How do I explain myself when I am thoroughly disappointed in something, while others are too utterly naive and amateur about certain things? That is how I feel right now about the school play. I was planning on being a choreographer - something challenging, yet fun and a chance to not be on stage for the first time in my life. But then, the teachers announced what the play is about. A religious-ified, Jewish-ified, Hebrew-fied version of Annie. Gag me. Just hearing in my head a girl singing: "The sun will come out, tomorrow! Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow..." made me want to start laughing, moaning, and yelling all for different reasons at once. Anyone who knows the tune, and knows Hebrew can take the moment now to imagine it in his/her's head. Horrendous. Now, of course, the teachers need to add parts to the play, so now they add a dog. Named after one of Haman's sons from Megillat Esther - The scroll of Esther. I was not going to express my utter shock and my hope that there is a mistake when my friend got excited about getting that part.

That's how, we Hershbergs in Israel look at ourselves. It's amusing actually, but extremely frustrating and unsatisfying that no one else in this country has a sense of culture. Or so I feel like it is. Fine, what do I really expect from the 8th grade play - Macbeth? No. I expect it not to be an embarrassment to the human race. And it officially is, because although my school is considered great, it knows nothing, and I repeat - N-O-T-H-I-N-G that has to do with culture. No art, no music, no good literature. It's driving me a little insane.

And that is my rant for today. Tune in next time when I rant on.... I'll find something to rant on by then...

Shabbat Shalom!

1 comment: