Hi!
Good morning! I am staying home a little late this morning because I had a horrible night's sleep. I have a question for all of you guys, and please comment/email me what you think, because I'm really interested in what you have to say.
Was there cheating on tests when you were a kid? Did you cheat? In my elementary school, there was no such thing as cheating on tests. To be compared, at my school right now there is cheating. I personally saw girls doing it. I talked to girls who were from different elementary schools, and they said that cheating did happen. The teacher brought it up a couple of weeks ago, and I was shocked. Completely shocked. I had no idea that it really was true, that kids cheat on tests! The teacher said that she knows who's been cheating in her lessons, on other teacher's lessons, and it is approximately 7 girls that cheat regularly. She asked from those girls to write her a letter saying that they are aware of what they did wrong, and what they are going to do about it. Last week, the teacher brought it up again saying the just one girl gave her a letter, and she is waiting for the rest. After the teacher said that, she asked what the class thinks about cheating and how she reacts to it. A girl named Sara (made-up name) raised her hand and said that cheating is totally wrong, but it's human and real. She also said that cheating has nothing to do with the relationship between the girls, or the trust between the girls in our class. I raised my hand, and said that, true, cheating is one of those bad things in life and it is human but that doesn't make anything better. It is still something that is not allowed and should not happen. I also disagreed with her about what she said about the relationship, that it is harder to trust that girl who cheats. Of course I wouldn't give the girl who cheats the silent treatment, but I wouldn't trust her with a secret.
What do you think?? If you saw a friend cheating in a test, would you tell teacher, and why??
So.................. Good night!
Adina- first, I ham very impressed that you are thinking so crtitically about this important issue. I also enjoyed hearing your perspective. My thoughts are driven by our middot, and by my own experiences around this issue. Question: is there an honor code at your beit sefer? If so, I know that the halachic issue of "deceit" comes into play. If someone is cheating and there is monetary reward (e.g. maintaining an academic scholarship), then it is forbidden, as fraud is at play. Yet, if it's one student copying off of another (which i think that's what we are talking about here), the issue is about personal deceit and honor, and someone breaking that code. Also, if one friend is letting a friend cheat off of them, then the torah law of "do not place a stumbling block before the blind" has been transgressed.
ReplyDeleteIt's very complicated because you are dealing with issues involving friendships and emotions as well (on all sides). If you are guided by the above (which I am), it helps me feel more secure about my position, even though I know that hurt feeling may come into play. Thank you for asking.
Hope everyone is well.
Love - Cousin Jason